Thursday, July 23, 2009

In the begining, there was yarn...


My Grammie taught me to knit when I was a child. But, I never really progressed past potholders and washcloths. If I was feeling particularly sassy, I would attempt a scarf (really just an extra long potholder). Roughly 5 years ago I was laid off and in order to maintain my sanity, I needed some creative outlet besides job searching. I decided to pick-up knitting again. I bought some inexpensive yarn and needles at Walmart and knitted a hat pattern from Martha Stewart Living. I have been knitting ever since.

My Grammie was overjoyed that I had started knitting again. We often talked about what projects we were working on and what yarn we were using. It was something wonderful and creative that we shared together. She passed away almost 3 years ago and I inherited all her yarn, needles, patterns, and her little button purse that she used to carry her current project.

Now, I have progressed to more complex projects and more decadent yarn. But, my favorite thing to knit is that first hat pattern with inexpensive yarn. Both of which, would make my Grammie proud. So, I am attaching the pattern in hopes that you will enjoy and think of someone you love.


No comments:

Post a Comment